Here is the full transcript of life coach and internet comedian JP Sears’ TEDx Talk: Saying YES! To Your Weirdness at TEDxCardiffbytheSea conference. This event took place on May 12, 2017 at Encinitas, California. JP Sears is the author of the book How to Be Ultra Spiritual: 12 1/2 Steps to Spiritual Superiority.
Listen to the MP3 Audio: Saying YES! to Your Weirdness by JP Sears at TEDxCardiffbytheSea
JP Sears – Life coach and internet comedian
Show of hands, who makes a conscious effort to be yourself? That’s a big mistake.
I think trying to be yourself makes you just like everyone else who’s trying to be themselves. My feeling is that you should try to be unique by trying to be like everybody else. And it’ll make you normal, which is good.
I do believe that the most dangerous liability in our world today is being yourself. Think about it: if you are being yourself, someone might actually find out who you really are, they might actually see you. You might actually find out who you are. People might make fun of you. They might reject you. They might actually accept you too. Which is probably worse. So that’s very scary.
So I really advocate a posture in life of being normal to help protect you from these great threats. Are you guys with me? At least this is what our imaginations say, for some reason. I mean, it sounds a little ridiculous. But I think what’s actually more ridiculous than how it sounds is the fact that we all act this out to some degree.
And it’s also a fact that I just called my opinion a fact. So it’s like scientific, which is great.
Another of my opinions is the most pervasive disease in our world today is being normal. It infects a lot of people. It infects 90% of people. The other 10% are also affected but they don’t know it, they’re silent carriers.
Are you okay? You look sad. Do you want some flowers?
To me, they’re really quite ugly, they just look like weeds. But I hope they cheer you up.
So I’m not a doctor, unless I’m in denial. How would you know if you’re a doctor? I assume like someone tells you. But anyway, it’s my opinion I’m not a doctor, yet I believe being normal, it’s caused by a fear-based mindset of self-rejection. It’s incredibly self-imposed, incredibly self-induced. It’s like, when we’re being normal and that becomes the religion we worship, we treat ourselves like the enemy. We reject ourselves because that ensures us nobody else is going to reject us.
If I reject me first, then you don’t get any of me, because I don’t bring me to the table, so you can never reject me as long as I’m rejecting myself. Which is pretty interesting. It’s like, I’ll kill myself, so that I don’t die.
Nobody else can kill me if I die first. Honestly, I think we laugh because it’s true. I can feel you’re telepathically asking me, “JP, is there a cure for normal?”
I believe so. To me, the cure for normal is your weirdness. Not someone else’s weirdness, but your weirdness is the cure.
Show of hands, who in here is naked under your clothes right now? Cool. So you’re all a bunch of naked weirdos. The cure is inside of you. You don’t need to go figure out how to be weird. I think the design team that makes us, they are way too intelligent to actually make us just normal. They want life a little more interesting than that.
By the way, that statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. It’s not food or drugs. But it is my position.
From my perspective, your weirdness is a big part of what makes you, you.
Does anybody in here know what the purpose of life is? Yeah. Oh, God. I guess that’s the purpose. We’re done, we just figured it out.
So aside from the one narcissist who actually thinks she knows what the purpose of life is, I don’t know what the purpose of life is. But if I was pretending to know the purpose of life, I think it would have a lot to do with you living your life. You actually giving yourself permission to be the miracle that you are, and expressing that, not hiding that. It’s kind of interesting how we’re given this life, which I judge to be something incredibly precious, and then I’m amazed at how much of my time I spend hiding this precious life that I’ve been given. I guess I was profound. We got some sighs.
So what if the purpose of your life was actually to be yourself? Can you slice through the psychological scar tissue of your programming that has you acting normal, so that the miracle of you can actually arise?
So what is weirdness? This stage creaks so much. Which is kind of normal for stages, when you think about it.
So to me, weirdness is something too far profound to actually be defined. So here’s my definition of weirdness. It’s the traits, the tendencies, the behaviors, the perspectives that help make you unique. Again, it’s nothing we need to acquire. I think it’s something we’re incarnated with. The question is: can you take off what you cover up your raw, naked weirdness with?